Over a quarter of Americans are obese – and with that comes many weight-related health issues. Here are the top 10 reasons why America has become a nation of overweight people – avoid them and you can free yourself from our nation’s “fat trap”:
1. Too much processed foods – they are cheap and convenient, but they are also full out sodium, sugar, chemicals and empty calories. When your body doesn’t get the nutrients it needs, it will crave more food.
2. Low intake of fresh, whole foods – they are nutrient dense, and when your body gets the necessary nutrients, you will have fewer cravings.
3. Sedentary lifestyle – many people are taking in more than they burn.
4. Supersized portions – the larger the portion in front of us, the more we eat.
5. Supersized dishware – our plates has become larger and larger. We need more food to fill the plate. Our perception of portion size apparently is affected by the size of the plate.
6. Advertising and marketing – big corporations throw a lot of marketing money on processed foods.
7. Misinformation and disinformation – people are confused what to eat. Unfortunately the labels on process and packaged foods are not always telling the whole story.
8. Cost of food – process, massed produced food, and foods made with subsidized crops are cheaper than fresh produce and other sustainably grown whole foods. High fructose corn syrup is a great example – it is found in a lot of food items we get in the store.
9. Time management – most people are always on the go. They eat while they are doing other things, and this mindless eating often makes people overeat. Many people don’t have time to cook – they depend on fast food, take out, or dining out – most of the time such foods are loaded with fat, sugar, sodium, and hidden calories.
10. Stress – when we are stressed, our body produce the stress hormone cortisol, which packs a triple whammy. Cortisol slows metabolism, affects blood sugar level, increase fat storage, and promote cravings for fatty, salty and sugary foods.
Come and check out our upcoming workshops , at ultimatelife.ca under classes