Stress is a killer. In todays fast paced world it would be almost impossible to find someone who isn’t stressed at some point throughout the day. If you asked most people what their stress levels were on scale of 1-10 I bet most would be up there at an 8,9 0r even 10. If you feel stressed, you are not alone. One in five of us experience extreme stress leading to depression, anxiety and heart palpitations.
40% over eat, emotional eat, binge eat and lose sleep every night. Stress increases our risk of stroke by 50% and heart attack by 25%.
It’s about finding balance and stress management techniques and eating the right foods to keep the nervous system happy.
Here are 5 tips to help you reduce stress and control emotional eating.
- Meditation: According to studies, 10 minutes of meditation a day (5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening)can lower your anxiety and cortisol levels.A great way to start is to use an app with guided meditations. Don’t worry if your mind wonders, that is perfectly normal. Just try to get back to your breathing.Which takes us to step number two.
- Breathing exercises: Breathing exercises have been used for many years as part of your mental, spiritual and physical wellbeing. When you start to breath rapidly from a situation, you are coming from the fight or flight mode of stress.Conversely, when you slow down and take in deep breaths, this can help to prevent yourself from reacting to stressful situations. This will help your body get back to a more balanced state.
- Visualization: Visualization is a simple yet potent technique that harnesses the power of your imagination.You can menatlly remove yourself from a stressful situation by using your imaginaiton to take you to somewhere else where you feel happy and safe.
- Sex, of course! DUH: Sex is the ultimate way for connection and intimacy that floods us with endorphins to make us feel good even for just a little while,
- Laughter: This is a great form of stress release. It lightens the mental stress load, increase yur oxygen rich air, increases endorphins, stimulates heart, lungs and muscles. It can smooth tension by increasing circulation, and boosts our immune system.
There it is. 5 tips to help you reduce stress and control emotional eating. Try one or try them all. See which one works best for you. Make sure you are taking good care of you.