Happy February. Can you believe how fast January flew by? Crazy! Here we are in the month of love and valentines day so I thought I would write a blog post on the most important love we have in our lives, and that is our love for ourselves.
Self love is not something we reach for, it is an ongoing journey and a life long practice. This is the most important relationship you will have in our entire life. And it is with YOU.
How do you set boundaries while practicing self love?
We need to learn how to trust ourselves, be our authentic self, accept ourselves, and have fun doing it in the process. We need to learn to have quality time with ourselves. When we do this we are able to figure out who we really are, who we want to be and reflect on how to get there.
- It all starts with self acceptance. Accept yourself exactly the way you are right now.Accept the size of your arms, your nose, your hair, your laugh, your belly. Just accept everything about you. There is not one single person on this planet the same a you. So stop comparing yourself to anyone else, ever.
- Respect yourself. Watch the way you talk to yourself. Is it kind and compassionate? If it’s not you need to ask yourself why? You would never talk to someone you love that way, so why would you do it to yourself? Respond to yourself in the most loving way you can. Kind and gentle as if it were a baby.
- It is not always easy, and so many of us struggle to learn to love themselves everyday. People who start to acknowledge their faults and still carry on, and they learn from their mistakes, they will start to accept who they are. We must establish internal boundaries for ourselves. We must be flexible and have room to give to a friend or a loved one when they ask a bit more from you. But be cautious. You can reach a breaking point if someone is to demanding and asking you to make to many compromises; they are crossing boundaries.
Don’t sacrifice your own self love, steer that person in another direction to get the help they need, then go back to maintaining your balanced, internal emotions.
Here are 3 ways on how to set boundaries:
- Communication is key. Say how you feel, express your thoughts clearly, and expect others to do the same.
- Forgive: Self forgiveness. When you learn to forgive yourself for the mistakes you have made, you begin to notice genuine inner happiness.
- Be happy inside: Don’t ever let others take advantage of you. Work on making yourself happy through self love. Once you decide to make happiness a choice that you make a conscience point of doing everyday, with faults and all-you begin to automatically make better choices that help you keep others from invading your personal bubble and maintain your sence of self love.
Share in the comments how you practice self love, and if you haven’t started yet there is no better time than right now.I am always here for you if you need help and guidance.
Happy love month, and happy Valentines Day! Now go and indulge in some delicious, nutritious, good for you chocolate and start to feel all the love